Essix Retainers are orthodontic retention devices. These are designed and worn to retain the results of the braces or precise aligner treatment. These are a set of clear, removable plastic retainers. Orthodontists recommend the person wear it after completing teeth realignment treatment. Essix retainers are made of high-quality, clear plastic. Technically speaking, they are built of polypropylene or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) material. They come in a set of top and bottom teething ware. They are both detachable. The plastic is custom-molded to fit the teeth and the mouth comfortably.
Phases of Essix Retainers Treatment
- Diagnostic: The orthodontist measures the teeth, runs imaging procedures, including x-rays, and designs a treatment strategy.
- Treatment: The orthodontist will use an orthodontic appliance, such as braces or clear aligners, to gently reposition the teeth into their correct places.
- Retention: The orthodontist will fit after-treated teeth with a retainer. This will keep the teeth in place and stop them from returning to their original locations. It is an essential after-care step when the treatment stage is over, and the teeth correctly align.
Difference Between Invisalign Brace and Essix Retainer
Invisalign looks similar to a clear plastic retainer, but they are different from each other and have different treatment purposes. Invisalign is designed mainly to realign the teeth into the proper position, while Essix Retainers are generally used to keep the realignment intact. Teeth have “memory”; even after being realigned into a better, healthier position, they will often revert to that position if a retainer is not used. The smile’s health and appearance largely depend on each stage of treatment, including the retention phase.
Tips to Take Care of Essix Retainers
- After a meal, brush or wash the retainer with warm water.
- It is recommended to use a gentle toothbrush to brush the retainer while preventing scratches on the transparent plastic.
- The use of toothpaste should be avoided while cleaning the retainer since it can dull out the gloss.
- To clean the edges and corners of the retainer, one can use a Q-Tip or a cotton swab.
- One can also use a denture cleanser and soak the retainer.
- To remove the bacteria in the retainer, users can soak it in vinegar once a week.
Advantages of Essix Retainers
For comfort and a secure fit, clear, detachable plastic retainers are molded to the teeth. They are easy to put on and take off, and because of the translucent plastic, they are incredibly discrete.
Retains The The Brace Treatment Results
When it comes to keeping the teeth in place, the Essix retainer is more effective and longer-lasting due to its form-fitting mold, which offers complete retention.
Since they can be taken out before having meals and beverages, removable retainers don’t get in the way when chewing or drinking. Fixed retainers can be difficult to clean and become clogged with food particles or other contaminants.
The Essix retainer’s clear plastic is thin and less likely to bother the lips, tongue, or gums. There will be no speaking issues. However, one may notice a little speech problem until their mouth gets fully used to the device.
The main benefit of Essix Retainers over other retainers is the price: Essix retainers are less expensive than Invisalign, making them a more affordable option for maintaining the results of the orthodontic treatment.